Saturday, January 30, 2010

Storm Chasing

Weather has always been something that has intrests me. When I was young I would ride my bike up to our farm and go to the top of the hill to watch storms roll in during spring time. I would sit there and watch the clouds swirl, birds gliding in the strong wind, and trees bending over from the raw power of the wind. I would stay there until I was either rained out or lightning was to close for comfort. I would then go home and stand in the breeze way that connects my house to my grandmas house and watch the storm as it passed by. All during this time I would be pretending to be a storm chaser. Storm chasing was something I have always wanted to do ever since I can remember. Even when I was young I would try to predict weather based on the formation of clouds.I even wanted to go to college for meteorology, but didn't because I didn't want to travel to far from home to attend one of the few colleges that offer it. I have always told myself that one day I will act upon my dream, and I have. I should be attended a weather spotting class on March 11 in South Carthage, TN to become an offical weather spotter. I had previously wanted to do this last year but I missed the deadline for the classes so I had to wait till now. I am so excited to finally start acting upon my dream.

People may think I am crazy for wanting to do this but the thrill of the chase outways the risks. I know I could be killed but I will be taking further classes on weather to make sure I have the knowledge to keep myself safe. An added benifit to all this is that I will be able to keep my friends and family safe from storms.

"Climate Is What We Expect, Weather Is What We Get"
Mark Twain

3 comments:

  1. I think that is very cool!

    Sometimes I really just like to watch The Weather Channel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ethan, Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving such a nice comment about the Saints.

    You sound like my sons. They are both thrill seekers. I was like that in my younger days, but after being in a couple of tornadoes and hurricanes, I soon changed my mind.

    Mother Nature is indeed a powerful force to reckon with. Be safe in your journey.

    ReplyDelete